Housing Grants for Disabled Veterans Could Help Upgrade & Modify Your Home

The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) has several housing grants for disabled veterans that and servicemembers can help improve the lives of qualified individuals. These grants are completely free – those who qualify do not need to repay them. VA adaptive housing grants provide money to buy, build, or make modifications and upgrades to their homes that improve veterans’ quality of life.

To qualify for a veteran housing grant from the VA, you must generally have a permanent and total disability resulting from your military service. You may need to meet other requirements depending on the type of grant you apply for. Continue reading to learn more about the types of housing grants for disabled veterans that the VA provides and how to qualify for one.

VA SAH Grant: Learn Who Qualifies for a Specially Adapted Housing Grant
1 of 3 Next

Among all types of VA adaptive housing grants, the Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) grant provides the most funding for housing accommodations. This grant provides financial resources to veterans and servicemembers to help them live more comfortably.

The veteran housing grant program was created to address housing issues among the nation’s population of disabled veterans and servicemembers. Some veterans with service-connected disabilities may have trouble navigating their own homes due to complex medical needs, such as using a wheelchair or motorized scooter.

That’s where VA adaptive housing grants can help. The VA provides money to veterans and their families to make necessary home improvements and modifications to help them live more comfortably.

VA SAH grant money can be used for any of the following purposes:

  • Buy a home that fits the veteran’s special needs
  • Build a new home
  • Make modifications to the veteran’s permanent home to accommodate the veteran’s special needs

To qualify for the VA Special Adaptive Housing grant, you must own the home or plan to own it. You cannot receive grant money to make modifications to a rental unit. If you live in a rent-to-own property, you may qualify for the grant as long as there are plans in place to assume ownership.

To get this veteran housing grant, you must also have a qualifying service-connected disability as verified by the Department of Veterans Affairs. This means that your disability is linked with your military service.

You may qualify with a service-connected disability if you meet any of the following requirements:

  • Loss or loss of use of more than one limb
  • Loss or loss of use of one lower leg with lasting effects of natural disease or injury
  • Blindness in both eyes (with 20/200 visual acuity or less)
  • Certain severe burns
  • Loss of use or loss of one lower extremity (foot or leg) that occurred after September 11, 2001, which requires you to use braces, crutches, canes, or a wheelchair

Through the VA SAH grant program, you could receive up to $100,896 to buy, build or modify your home as needed.

1 of 3 Next

By Admin