Does your service-connected disability make it difficult to live comfortably in your home? You could qualify for one or more housing grants for disabled veterans to help you make necessary home improvements so you can have a barrier-free living environment. One such veteran housing grant is known as the Special Housing Adaptation (SHA) grant.

Like the VA SAH grant, the SHA grant provides free money to qualifying veterans and servicemembers so they can improve their current home or find a new one that fits their needs.

What is a Special Housing Adaptation (SHA) Veteran Housing Grant?

Some of the most common home modifications that veterans make using this grant money include the following:

  • Installing exterior ramps
  • Widening doorways
  • Widening hallways
  • Moving to a home with one floor
  • Installing handrails
  • Creating roll-in showers
  • Adding more electrical outlets for medical equipment

To qualify for this type of veteran housing grant, you or a family member must own or plan to own the home. Furthermore, you must have one of the following qualifying service-connected disabilities verified through the Department of Veterans Affairs:

  • Loss of both hands
  • Loss of use of both hands
  • Blindness in both eyes
  • Certain severe burns
  • Certain respiratory injuries
  • Certain breathing impairments

If you qualify for this VA adaptive housing grant, you could receive up to $20,215 toward the purchase, construction or improvement of a home that fits your needs. This amount may change yearly to reflect differences in funding availability.

You do not need to use the entire grant amount in one year. In fact, if you qualify for a veteran housing grant, you could use the money up to six different times throughout your lifetime until it runs out.

To apply for this VA adaptive housing grant, you will need a DS Logon, which is an account created for anyone with military affiliation. If you don’t already have a DS Logon through the Department of Defense (DoD), you can create one on the VA’s website.

You can complete the application process online using the VA’s eBenefits portal. You may also need the following documents to complete the application:

  • Social Security Number (SSN)
  • VA claim number

You may choose to apply for a VA housing grant by mail or in person at a VA regional office using the Application in Acquiring Specially Adapted Housing or Special Home Adaptation Grant (VA Form 26-4555). The form can be downloaded through the VA’s website.

Once you submit your application, the VA will determine if you qualify for a grant and how much money you may receive.

By Admin