What if you need a VA adaptive housing grant, but are currently residing with a relative or friend? The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) has a special grant program designed for this exact need. The Temporary Residence Adaptation (TRA) grant is another veteran housing grant offered through the VA’s umbrella of special housing programs.

Both the VA SAH grant and the SHA grant are designed for veterans who own or plan to own a home. However, disabled veterans who are temporarily living with a family member or friend may need the same type of housing assistance to create a barrier-free living situation.

Learn How to Get Temporary VA Adaptive Housing Grants
Back 3 of 3

The VA recognizes that disabled veterans are often the most at risk of losing their homes and may not always have the ability to remain in a home that they own. The TRA grant addresses this issue by providing money for veterans to modify or improve their temporary residence so they may live comfortably.

To receive this type of veteran housing grant, you must meet the qualifications for either the SAH or SHA grant. This means that you must have at least one of the following qualifying service-connected disabilities:

  • Loss or loss of use of more than one limb
  • Loss of both hands
  • Loss or loss of use of one lower leg with lasting effects of natural disease or injury
  • Blindness in both eyes (with 20/200 visual acuity or less)
  • Certain severe burns
  • Loss of use or loss of one lower extremity (foot or leg) that occurred after September 11, 2001, which requires you to use braces, crutches, canes, or a wheelchair
  • Certain respiratory injuries
  • Certain breathing impairments

The total amount of money you can get from the TRA veteran housing grant varies depending on whether you qualify based on the SAH grant criteria or the SHA grant criteria.

  • If you qualify for the TRA grant under the SAH grant, you could receive up to $40,637 in TRA grant money.
  • If you qualify for the TRA grant under the SHA grant, you could receive up to $7,256 in TRA grant money.

It is possible to receive multiple VA adaptive housing grants at the same time. For example, if you qualify for a TRA grant under the SAH grant, you could receive the maximum TRA grant award of $40,637 AND the maximum SAH grant award of $100,896 for a grand total of $141,533 in VA grant money.

However, you may not receive the full amount of either grant; the VA will determine the specific amount of money you qualify for under each grant program.

Back 3 of 3

By Admin