Veterans who are interested in applying for a VA adaptive housing grant but do not currently live in their own home may still qualify for free money through a Temporary Residence Adaptation (TRA) grant. This veteran housing grant program is designed to help veterans who are living with a family member make temporary alterations to help them live more comfortably.

For TRA grant purposes, a family member is defined as anyone related to the veteran by blood, marriage or adoption.

The VA SAH grant and the SHA grant programs are geared toward veterans who own or plan to own their homes. However, the VA recognizes that not every veteran qualifies through these criteria; there are plenty of service-disabled veterans who could benefit from modification assistance to the home they currently share.

Is There a Short-Term Veteran Housing Grant? Learn About the TRA Grant
BACK 3 of 3

The TRA veteran housing grant is for disabled veterans temporarily living with a family member who face object barriers within the home. To qualify, you must be eligible for either the SAH or SHA grant based on your disability. This means that you must have at least one of the following qualifying service-connected disabilities:

  • Loss or loss of use of more than one limb
  • Loss of both hands
  • Loss or loss of use of one lower leg with lasting effects of natural disease or injury
  • Blindness in both eyes (with 20/200 visual acuity or less)
  • Certain severe burns
  • Loss of use or loss of one lower extremity (foot or leg) that occurred after September 11, 2001, which requires you to use braces, crutches, canes, or a wheelchair
  • Certain respiratory injuries
  • Certain breathing impairments

Temporary grants for disabled veterans do not provide the same amount of money as the SAH or SHA grants. The total amount you can receive depends on whether you qualify for the grant based on the SAH grant criteria or the SHA grant criteria.

  • If you qualify for the TRA grant under the SAH grant, you could receive up to $40,983 in TRA grant money.
  • If you qualify for the TRA grant under the SHA grant, you could receive up to $7,318 in TRA grant money.

But what if you qualify for more than one VA adaptive housing grant? You can combine your awards and use the full amount for which you qualify. For example, if you are eligible for a TRA veteran housing grant under the SAH grant, you could receive the maximum TRA grant award of $40,983 AND the maximum SAH grant award of $101,754 for a total of $142,737 in VA grant money.

Keep in mind that you may not qualify for the full amount of a VA adaptive housing grant. Once you apply, the VA analyzes your information to determine the exact amount of money you can receive under each grant program.

BACK 3 of 3

By Admin