Are you ready to apply for housing grants and get free money for the purchase or maintenance of your home? You may meet program requirements for one or more grant programs that can help lower your out-of-pocket expenses. There are many resources for getting these grants at the federal, state and local levels.

The best way to find housing grants that fit your needs is to compare multiple grant programs. Do not settle for the first one you find, because you may qualify for more than one. Continue reading the sections below to learn where you can apply for housing grants. 

Find Out Where to Apply for Housing Grants
find housing grants to apply for
Back 4 of 4

Whether you are interested in down payment assistance programs or are looking for grants to help you pay for repairs, you can find them from a variety of sources. It’s important to know where to look in order to explore all of your options. Chances are, you may qualify for more than one housing grant program. Some programs can be used simultaneously to help you significantly lower your out-of-pocket housing costs.

Many housing grants are available from the federal government. HUD, or the Department of Housing and Urban Development, outsources money to various grant programs. It does not directly offer grants, but it does provide the funding. HUD housing assistance is also available to low-income homeowners who may need help paying rent or finding an affordable home.

HUD homes are part of the housing assistance available from this department. These homes have been previously foreclosed on and are now being sold at a reduced price directly from HUD. This is one affordable path to homeownership. You can find HUD houses for sale on the department’s website.

You should also consider the following federal housing grant programs:

  • The Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) – provided by the U.S. Department of Energy
  • Section 504 Home Repair Program – provided by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA)
  • Disability housing grants – provided by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)

In addition to federal housing grants, be sure to look into state and local programs in your area. Many local government agencies have a designated amount of money they put toward helping residents purchase or renovate their homes. To find these programs, you can use the HUD website to search for available programs.

Another way to search for local housing grants and assistance programs is to contact your state’s housing office. You may find programs listed on your state, county or town’s website.

Back 4 of 4

By Admin